Sunday 20 September 2009

Lula's Marathon Madness Day 3 20 Sept

Sunday is the long run day; seeing that I haven't done one of these for at least six weeks not sure how long this long run is going to be. Nevertheless, I aim for an hour. Decide to do a totally new route cause when you have to run for a long time you need all the entertainment you can get. Head for Central Park. No not Central Park New York, but Central Park, Chelmsford, Essex. Yep came to stay with Baby Boy's grandparents in the country for a rest.

Actually Central Park Chelmsford, with its quite varied flora and fauna, skateboarding ramp, lake complete with elegant swans and silky black feathered ducks, fishing river, bowling green, gypsy fun fair, is not half bad. Who needs NYC: me for a shopping spree. Urban life is not half bad. I pass several joggers, one woman who must be at least 70 running with one arm in the air - not sure why - I want to be her at 70 though, a ginger haired teen, a little round woman and a really long-legged man whose one stride was equal to ten of mine. We all say hi to each other as our paths cross. Runner's etiquette 2009. Twenty minutes into my run, I am feeling good - this hour is going to be a breeze. Pass a young couple going for a walk with their new born. Daddy is pushing the pram and mummy is lovingly stroking daddy's hair. Clearly her hormones are still on a high cause by now it would be more like menacingly pulling daddy's hair. At 30 minutes I pass a bowling club - all slender and nimble, silver haired geriatrics.

Pass a couple with a double buggy holding 2 little occupants. The bigger occupant is screaming: 'I want to get out! I want to get out!' Parents being parents: totally ignoring him. I laugh cause I've been there - no I AM there. Its 40 minutes now pain is setting in, and my gut and bottom are jiggling in protest. Head out the park and run on the main road for a little while before I head for the river bank. Got to run up a slope and now it really hurts. Pass a middle-aged woman sitting on a middle-aged man's lap on a park bench, crying her eyes out. Her pain is clearly greater than mine so I forget mine temporarily till I get to the really steep part of the slope and I don't give a shit about how bad she must feel, cause I definately feel worse but don't have the option of sitting on some man's lap to ease the agony. OK, head down, relax shoulders and just get to the top and it will be all over. Get to the top and it isn't all over - got at least 10 minutes till I get home. Chest is burning. Slow down some to catch my breath. Thank God it's all flat now. Remind myself I need new trainers - have had these for like 3 years now. Round the bend and home is in sight. Do my end of race sprint and damn my legs feel like lead.

Time : 1h 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers